Friday, November 10, 2006

Realization of Humanity

So here's a funny story. . . I didn't get to sleep until about 3:00 this morning because I was scared I was having a heart attack. My left shoulder hurt something fierce and I had a little tingly sensation from my left earlobe down to my elbow. It freaked me the hell out. So I called the ER and they told me that it was probably a pinched nerve--nothing to be concerned with.

But when I woke up this morning, it still hurt, and I started to feel nauseous at work. This time I called the clinic, figuring I'd make an appointment for the end of the day. The receptionist kept me on the line until she could find a nurse, who then told me that I needed to be there right. now. I was at my other job, so I had to drive the 10 miles back to town so I could get to the doctor. They were concerned as to weather or not I was safe to drive. "I'm fine" I told them.

I drove 80 mph because I was *not* fine to drive. I was scared out of my wits. The whole drive, I could feel my heart in my throat and I was just crying and praying. Then I got to the clinic and felt like I was going to pass out in the waiting room. "Great" I thought "I'm going to freaking die in a waiting room."

I finally got into the doctor, who took my blood pressure and ordered blood drawn and an EKG. Then I had to wait. And wait. And wait some more. After about a half hour of worrying, he finally came back. Everything is normal (Praise the Good Lord). My blood pressure was a little high, but figuring the stress I was under for the hour before they took it, that was to be understood.

My orders were to come back in a couple of weeks and have my bp checked again. Other than that, I'm as healthy as can be.

But I can't tell you how insane that fear was. Fear that I wasn't going to see my family again. Fear that my kids were going to grow up without their mommy. Fear that I was going to miss out on so many more things over the rest of their lives.

So that's it. I'm on the workout plan hardcore next week. Because I will NOT make my kids grow up without their mommy.

Off to go hug everyone a little tighter. . .

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

Yikes, no kidding!

I wonder what it was. Also, send some of those workout vibes this way please. :)

Anonymous said...

How scary! I'm glad it turned out to be nothing serious!

Molly said...

So glad it turned out okay, but very scary I know. I had a heart attack when I was 33 and actually drove home from work while having it! It does make you appreciate everything you have and live each day to the fullest.

Anonymous said...

Huh...weird.

Well, hello there, Miss Kari Jo. :) Remember me? LOL! I came across your blog by accident and was all happy. :)

Hope everything is well with you. Glad to hear you weren't having a heart attack. I suffer from anxiety & can understand how you feel.

Talk at you later!!!