Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Scurvy Pirates are HOT!

Friday night CB and I pawned the kids off on his mom and dad and headed to semi-civ for an evening of dining and a movie.

I have wanted to see one of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies in a theater since the first one came out. And since I get the sneaking suspicion this is a nice little bookend to the trilogy, I INSISTED that CB take me on a date to see At World’s End. We had been hearing horror stories all week about how the theaters were selling out! And selling tickets days before the movie opened! So, as soon as we got to semi-civ, I went in and bought our tickets for a later show. I had to wait in line for a whole two minutes before I walked back out with them in hand. Then we headed over to the Home Depot because I have not yet wasted enough of my life in that store and CB needed more things for TRPTWNE (The remodeling project that will not end for you new people) ’07. I spent most of the 45 minutes we were in the store drooling over paint colors. We are painting almost every room in our house this summer, so I was trying to decide which color went best where and did I really want white sand as opposed to white shore? CB finally decided that he had enough screws, tools, and nails to finish the project, so we left there and headed over to Applebee’s for dinner. It was delicious as always and I left feeling a little tipsy and a LOT stuffed.

We made our way into the theater, where they had not allowed anyone into the actual theaters yet. I got a little glimpse of what all the fuss was about because there was a TON of people standing in the lobby waiting to get in. CB and I got to the end of the line just as they let everyone in. By the time we got into the theater, the place was PACKED. I had forgotten that it was only a PG-13 movie, which meant that every little 13 year old was, like, totally without their parents at the movie—which is, like, totally cool. We finally found crappy seats on the side two rows from the front and one row in front of three little boys that must have just gotten their swearing license because every other word out of their mouth was the F-bomb. They were ridiculously annoying, but thankfully stopped talking during the movie.

Now, usually when I go to the theater I am freezing. So, I planned as such and dressed warmly. This was stupid because all the body heat in there had made it feel like we were in a tropical local. I hadn’t been smart enough to wear layers, so I just tried not to move too much since every time I did heat escaped from my sweatshirt and right into my face.

The MOVIE! It was amazing! Even from crappy seats sweating my butt off, the two hours and forty-seven minutes flew by. I LOVED it. I totally want to see it again. And again and again.

Can I just say how insanely hot Johnny Depp is in this movie? Although I had his posters from Tiger Beat on my walls when I was little, I never really thought he was that good looking. But holy hell, throw some ratty dreads and rotten teeth on the man and it’s all I can do not to drool. Even Orlando is hot! I’ve never liked him at all. I think he looks like he’s twelve. Only not in this movie. He’s marginally bad ass in it and I think THAT’s what made him hot.

If you are planning on going to see it, I highly recommend the movie. And, as always with these movies, make sure you stay until the end of the credits as there’s an awesome little surprise at the end. That’s the part that I saw Orlando in and was like “dang. I get it now!”

3 comments:

The Ferryman said...

Okay, this is driving me crazy. We saw it and loved it, but didn't know to stay through the credits. We've heard there was something else.

Can you email me and tell me what we missed pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease?

Jennifer McKenzie said...

I've been avoiding these movies. Maybe I can convince the redneck to take a chance on Johnny Depp.
Sounds like fun.
I NEVER get the temp right for me in the theater. Too hot, too cold, too much popcorn, not enough drink.
I've gotten lazy and just wait for it to come out on DVD.

Molly said...

I really want to see it and am pleased you enjoyed it as I have read some reviews recently that said it didn't quite hit the mark. And thanks for the info on staying to the end! Orlando Bloom really is lush isn't he, even if he does have a bit of a twonky name! But he is a fellow Brit so I am inclined to let that slide as he is so lovely!