Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Learning Experiences

You guys, I suck. I am sorry, but there you have it. There's been some trying things going on in the family (in law health crisis. Hopefully all worked out.) and I just haven't been much in the mood to blog. But I've got all sorts of good ideas to blog about, so I'm hoping the burnout is gone now for a while. SO, without further ado, I give you today's post:

Things I have lost since becoming a Mom:

Punctuality I have gone from a person who was perpetually ten minutes early everywhere I went to the person everyone is waiting on ten minutes after the designated time.

Manners I used to be “that” girl. You know, the one who would go out of her way to make sure no one heard her burp. Now, I’m not above muttering “Good One!” when one of the kids has trapped air.

Public Speaking Skills I was going to major in broadcast journalism. I was going to be the next Katie Couric or Diane Sawyer. Today was a good day because I formed a coherent sentence and actually spoke it correctly.

Memory I can barely remember what I did last week, let alone five years ago. And names? I used to have my friends’ schedules memorized. Now my life consists of post-it notes and reminders on my cell phone.

Things I have gained since becoming a Mom:

Patience Even when it’s taking ten minutes to do a two minute job, I have the ability to calmly remind them to get their butts in gear. And though my patience is tested on a daily basis, it also increases every day. Maybe it’s because they’re getting older and are becoming a little more self-sufficient. Or maybe it’s because we’re all growing up a little bit more every day.

Humility I’d love to meet any mom that says motherhood has not made her humble. Because when my two year old is screaming “Ouch ouch ouch” because I’m touching their arm in the toy isle and people are staring at me like I’ve taken out a beating stick, there is nothing else you can be BUT humble.

Unconditional Love You know it’s unconditional when you look at them not five minutes after they’ve done something bad and you get that feeling in your stomach. The one that says “There is nothing that I would not do for this child.” The unconditional love that is so fierce that it hurts. When CJ comes home from school and says that someone was mean to him, I want to just go and find that kid and ask them “Why? How could you be mean to this sweet little boy?” A little boy that is so tender and kind to everyone that he meets does not deserve to be treated like that. Or the girl that threw a ball at Diva’s head at the swimming pool that is lucky that I wasn’t there that day.


So what about you parents? What have you learned since becoming a parent?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey look! I am still alive.

This is a good topic that I could post on for hours. However, I will spare you. :)

I think what I have learned is that being a mother is the single most hardest and most rewarding thing that I have ever done, or will do, in my life. I have more love for my children than I ever thought possible and I can't imagine my life without them (even thought I can picture it a few days out of the year :P )

Anonymous said...

I'm a new mommy still, so it depends on the day what I feel I've learned. I've got to agree wholeheartedly with elleoz though. it is the most reward and challenging all at the same time.

The big one for me is how I look at the world. Sometimes I felt so cynical before Kathryn came along. Now everything has a new light to it, a new wonder.

Anonymous said...

I keep waiting for the "Patience" thing. One thing. I've become shallow. I let my five year old live because he's cute. LOL.
I think the one honest thing I've learned as a Mom is to be a little less judgemental. I judge myself less harshly. And I was the idiot making ridiculous comments like "How could she let her son wander out in the snow like that?" during a tragic newstory.
Now, I understand exactly how that happens. When the Andrea Yates story came out, I felt so sorry for her. I had a new baby and a ten month old. I was soooo exhausted. I could see how it could happen.
Before my two miracles THAT wouldn't have happened.