Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Homesick



My dad sent me this picture a couple of weeks ago. We had talked on my birthday last year (January 30th, so beware because I'm a total spoiled brat about my birthday) and I had asked him to find me a "California Sunset" to gaze upon. And he's been working on it ever since. He was trying to find just the right picture, and this is it. It's everything I think of when I think of the sunsets that I miss so much. The only thing I wish is that the waves were just a little bit bigger. But it's sufficient.

There are some days when I curse the circumstances that pulled us away from seeing this site anytime I want to. But I know there is someone else who has a much better plan for my life than I do/did. And if we hadn't left I would never have met Country Boy and I wouldn't have the little Mini-mes walking around. I would have become totally superficial and ended up working 80 hours a week just to afford the view that I'd always dreamed of.

Now, I'm only marginally materialistic on a bad day. I have a greater appreciation of things like family, friends, and life in general. I can appreciate all the beautiful things about my home state without having to deal with the ugly things. And I can take vacations there on occasion.

But when it's 25 degrees outside and I'm freezing my butt off, I can't help but wish for my palm tree-laden Christmases past.

5 comments:

Mr. Fabulous said...

You know, the problem with commenting here is that it always makes me want to get more of that raspberry chocolate...

Perhaps you will get back there one day...

Anonymous said...

A blizzard is moving in as I write this. I miss California, and intend to end up there some day. Great picture, it's beautiful.

Anonymous said...

now all that beach needs is a little snow...

kidding! gorgeous picture, though. i saw San Diego sunsets every night for a week one summer. Sunset over the ocean is one of the most beautiful things...

Anonymous said...

That's such a gorgeous picture.....

I'm a new reader of your blog. Love it!

http://brutalhonestyhurts.blogspot.com

Neurotic Mom said...

Hope you all have a Merry Christmas