Monday, September 17, 2007

Redemption

This weekend I met up with The Ex. And it was surprisingly uneventful. There wasn’t that silly little flutter that I’ve had every other time I’ve seen him since the first day I met him.

I had been really nervous because, well, he is THE Ex. Three years ago when I saw him, he looked exactly like he did in high school. Only older with more muscles. And while I don’t look ENTIRELY different, I have evidently maintained the weight I gained from both pregnancies & so am wider than I was then. So this was really picking at me because even though there’s no doubt in my mind I’m with who I’m supposed to be with, there’s still that little piece of me that wants him to be like “Damn! I let THAT ONE get away!?” which is probably the same feeling most girls have about their boys from high school.

Needless to say, I hadn’t really wanted to see him because of my own insecurities, but when I walked up to him, I felt this huge release. Like it is OK that I don’t look the same way as I did when I was 17. And my entire demeanor has changed because of it. I guess I was fretting over the whole ordeal since the first email I got from him saying he was back in the area. So now, I have a whole new outlook on life!

In other news, I booked our flights to see GQ in Seattle. I still can’t believe that we’re going because the Redneck fam is so not the kind of people that make big plans like this and follow them through. It’s amazing! I’ve always wanted to go to Seattle, so I’m super excited. Even if it is with the Redneck Mom and Dad.

Anyone have any requests for sightseeing pictures? We’re only there for a couple of days, so I’m not going to get a lot of tourist-y time, but I’ll do my best!

7 comments:

tammi said...

What a great milestone to reach! That THE EX doesn't have to intimidate you anymore. I just avoid mine altogether. Actually, my 'what if' man lives in Europe, so it's a pretty safe bet I'll never run into him ever again. Whew.

Have an awesome vacation in Seattle!!

Shelli said...

(What/who is GQ?)

I married my high school sweetheart. It's funny that you talk about it though because just the other day, I said to him that I cannot imagine what it would have been like to look back and wonder always what it would have been like if we had stayed together. I am so glad that I have him as part of my everyday life. It is who I was meant to be with.

PinkPiddyPaws said...

Just promise me you'll have a cup of Starbucks in the *HOME* of Starbucks. That's all I ask. ;) hee..hee..!

Anonymous said...

I love people who are comfortable in their own skin. Even if that means they have changed. I think the whole point of life it change itself. If you had remained the same it would have been boring. Congrats on standing your ground and going through with the plan of meeting with him. Now on to about Seattle. I have never been there, its on my to-do list. I want to see pictures when you get back.

Friglet said...

That sounds like a fun trip!

Good for you for meeting the Ex and not caring about all of the other stuff. :)

Molly said...

If you are going to Seattle you have to go to a restaurant called 13 Coins - it is divine!

Anonymous said...

Whut? You're coming HERE?! Awesome~you have to see the waterfront...especially the Curiosity Shoppe. It's really cool, and they have all sorts of crazy stuff to buy, plus a real MUMMY! Seattle Aquarium is down there, and also try to go to Pike Place Market, it's really fun. If you see the mini donut place, BUY SOME!