Friday, May 26, 2006

I'm Here Now.

I think. I have always loved moving. I love the feeling of "newness" that comes along with starting over somewhere else. And I usually don't feel bad about leaving a piece of me behind.

But for some reason, I've been reluctant to make this final switch. Mostly because I suck at HTML. But I hope to get better as time goes on. I WANT to be better. I want to know what all the jargon means and how to make my website look all cool. I also didn't want to move because I couldn't improve on what I already had. I couldn't come up with a better pseudonym for myself other than my own name. And "Carrie's Journal" is just so. . . blah. But I think "Glamorous Redneck" really fits.

I still consider myself a SoCal girl. I was born in the San Diego area and lived there for half my life. But I've lived here in Podunk for the better part of the second half of my life. And I'm finally beginning to embrace both sides of things. While I still enjoy going to museums and the glitz and glamour of big cities, there is an appreciation growing inside of me for the things of Podunk. I like that my kids can ride their bikes around the block and I don't have to worry about them. I also like that I don't have to lock my car--or even take my keys out of the ignition--if I don't want to. And even though that appreciation for finer things doesn't weaken, the appreciation for spending a day by the side of the river with my family seems to grow every day.

So I'm embracing both sides of myself.

But I'm still not going to be driving a pickup. A girl's gotta have her standards.

GR

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Congrats on the move. The blog looks great and I love, love, love the template.